, , , , ,

How to Plan a Surprise Birthday Party for your Boyfriend

4:12 PM

So his birthday is coming up. You think of something to give him, like a pair of dress shoes from Cole Haan, or a new pair of Jordans, or a Swiss watch, or an out of town trip. But have you thought that it would be cheaper to throw him a surprise party?


I did. And this is how I did it.

1. Plan early. I did my planning exactly a month before Jeff's birthday. I contacted his closest friends, or at least the one I know, from each group and told them my idea. Everyone of them agreed to help. Decide on where to do it. Make sure the venue is easy to find, there is transportation, and there's parking. As for me, I called all the McDonalds' and Jollibees in Makati area. The one in PBCom Tower agreed to accommodate me even though they don't do parties. The manager said that they don't have a lot of customers on weekends, so it's not going to be a problem. Decide on the date as well. Make sure that he doesn't have anything that day. Make sure you can manipulate his schedule. Planning is the key.



2. Have the budget. Of course, of course. As far as I know, the most that I've spent that days was about P7,500. That includes food for 50 people (spaghetti, chicken, drinks, sundae), loot bags care of McDonald's, balloons, staff for assistance, invitations, and mascot appearance. That's very affordable, isn't it?

3. Make up your story and make it believable. So the entire month that I was planning the party, I made up a lot of stories. I had trips to Makati to check the place and pay, I had to go somewhere else to have something printed, etc. And knowing Jeff, he checks on me a lot so it was so hard to lie haha! 

4. Make a simple present so he won't suspect that you still have something bigger for him. As for me, I came unannounced in his office and brought cake on his birthday. I also prepared four gifts for him, and I told him that there's a fifth one but I will give it to him on a later date because it is still not with me.

5. Stress him out on the day of the party. Hahaha! So here's the plot. I didn't go to his radio show that particular Saturday. He used to do this show with some friends in DZRJ, and I just told him I can't go but I can meet him up after his show and we'll pick up his fifth gift. All the while, he thought I bought him Lego from the US. Hahaha! After his show, Lawrz drove him to Glorietta because that's where we are supposed to meet. In the mean time, I was also in talks with his bestfriend, Jino and he should call him to tell him it is very important and that he needs help. He did. While he was with Lawrz, and with Jino eventually, I kept calling him asking him where he is. And he was like, 'Beyb sorry emergency lang, si Jino kasi.

6. Prepare the venue before everyone else comes. I never had a problem with this because it was McDo who fixed the place. I just had one tarpaulin printed, and a few prizes to prepare. The tarpaulin says HAPPY (2)6TH BIRTHDAY JEFF because it's a children's party, and Sakuragi. His friends would always tease him that he is like Sakuragi because he's always 'basted'. Well, not anymore. :) 


7. Invite his friends. And your friends, too.  The whole time the ordeal was happening to him, I was already in McDonald's, preparing for the party. Most of his friends from Ateneo, Manresa, choir, and radio are all there too. We are just waiting for him to arrive. It was funny because I actually didn't know everyone who came. Jeff told me that one of his friends who showed up don't normally go to parties like this. They just see him during UAAP games. Haha!


8. Surprise! Jino told him that he and his wife fought over something, and that Bea is in McDonald's. I remember Jeff telling me that he even told Jino to make it fast because I will be angry. So they went inside McDonald's and...
Tadaaaaa! His facial expression is priceless. What I won't do to see that again! Good thing there are photos. Hahaha!


9. Have a badass cake. And a badass party host. Chuckie Dreyfus is Jeff's friend from Twitter and their radio show. He was an impromptu host. He didn't have any choice when we gave him the microphone. Haha! He will then be our host as well during our wedding a year later. He also designed the cake that #hashtag gave. 


10. Prepare some games. Actually, I only prepared one game -- ang walang kamatayang Pinoy Henyo. I came up with 12 words, all related to what Jeff likes and dislikes. LEGO, Purefoods, kare-kare, mayonnaise etc. it was fun making them guess all of it. Prepare some prizes too. What I gave them were ball keychains.


11. Make sure you take a picture of everyone. It is very seldom that this much people come for your event. Believe it or not, the next time we see most, if not all of them, was a year after that birthday part during our wedding. 

12. Make sure he gets a lap dance. From the mascot. Hahaha! It was the highlight of the night, Jeff sitting on a chair with Kid McDo dancing infront of him. And everybody knew, McDo will never be the same again. LOL!

13. Give out prizes. Besides the prizes for games, I also prepared some for the early birds and best in costume. We picked a theme, sports of course, and asked everyone to come in costume. :)

14. Take a group picture! According to the McDonald's staff, there were 38 people who ate. So basically, around 38-45 came because some had to leave earlier. That was an achievement for me. I was able to make Jeff's friends come even if I don't know them or they don't know me. Hehe. 

15. Watch him be happy around his friends. It is priceless. :)

PS. He proposed to me three weeks after I threw this party for him. My P7,500 came back with so much interest. Hahaha!




You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love it! hahaha
    Glad to be part of this happy party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have the stress balls that you gave him! :D

      Delete
  2. Aaww this is so cute! I never knew a surprise party held at Mcdonalds could be this awesome!! I'm planning to do the same for my hubby's birthday this December, thank you so much for this wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay please share your preparation too! Thank you for dropping a comment! :)

      Delete

Instagram Feed