, , , ,

An Outsider's Guide to the Ateneo Basketball

10:29 PM

This post is for the people like me -- in a relationship or married to a die hard Atenean. Jeff was a member of the Ateneo Blue Babble Battalion from 2002 to 2005. His passion/craziness over Ateneo basketball is unbelievable. I've been going with him to see the games for two years and I've seen Ateneo bag two championships. I'm not really a pro on this, but this is how I see the games.



Here are a few tips for newbies like me.

1. The season starts in July. Jeff and I just got back from Boracay in 2011 when the season started. He's been talking about it in forever so I kinda know that he's excited to take me to watch the games. I'm a huge basketball fan, but I've never really given a thought about college hoops. It was the busiest July to October of my life. There were games almost every weekend. So if you're planning for trips/wedding/etc during these months, well, don't. It is hard to pull them out of the games.

2. Ateneo vs. La Salle games are very important. And crazy. In July 16, 2011, Jeff and his family were to do the traditional pamanhikan, but there was also an Ateneo-La Salle game that day. Believe it or not, we did watch the game before going to my house. It was THAT important. My mom was so angry at me. I cannot miss that game. It was my first Ateneo-LaSalle game. I wanted to experience what I read from my friend Rafe Bartholomew's book, Pacific Rims. Crazy is an understatement. 

3. It is hard to get tickets, especially for Ateneo vs. La Salle games. No, make it very, very hard. How I can I flake and not watch that July 16 game if Jeff worked so hard to get tickets? Tickets are not that expensive, but it is scarce. If you want to make your partner extra happy, go and find him a ticket. 

4. There are some clapping routines and cheers that need to be practiced. Ah believe me, for someone so uncoordinated like me, the clapping routines are the hardest. Clap clap clap, shout, clap. So Jeff, being my awesome Blue Babble husband, teaches me the cheers before the season starts, but up until now, I still don't know the Halikinu cheer. 

5. Blue is a big part of the wardrobe. Well, make it blue and white. And sometimes black. But it was a new thing for me having blue clothes. We later discovered that I actually look good in blue. Haha! 

Left: Taken at Carlo and Rocky's wedding. Upper right: Photo from Lora during Harold and Lavinia's wedding. Lower right: From Harold and Lavinia's photographer (I think).

6. There are mandatory photos taken by the official photographers. A lot of them! So pull out your blue shirts, and smile! Thank you Philip Sison, Nono Felipe, Arvin Lim, and all the Ateneo photographers for capturing everyone's smiles. :)


Photo credits to Philip Sison, Nono Felipe, and Arvin Lim. 

7. There is an annual bonfire. Every year during the first week of October, all the Ateneans head to their alma mater, cause heavy traffic in Katipunan NB, and have a big party inside the school grounds. It is that time of the year when drinking alcohol inside a school is legal. Oh, and don't forget the photo op with your favorite basketball players!



8. Be ready and patient for a cranky boyfriend/husband when Ateneo loses. Oh imagine the things that I have to deal with since the start of Season 76. Never drop a negative hirit or you may get the silent treatment.

9. It is great to watch with friends. Jeff's friends are the most amazing crowd. They help each other from getting the tickets to planning the post-game lamon. Haha! They even have a Facebook thread dedicated just for the UAAP. See you this weekend, WPC! 

10. Be a supportive girlfriend or wife. He wants that blue shirt? Buy it. He wants to watch the game? Go with him. Game is in MOA Arena? Darn it, ang layo! But still, go with him. Be his best basketball buddy. Wipe his sweat during the games. At the end of the day, it all boils down to his happiness. Cliche it may sound, mabuti ng basketball kasya babae. ;)

#OBF

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Read this just now... nakakatuwang basahin. And yes... blue looks good on you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram Feed