How to change your surname on your passport?

4:26 PM

Every woman who gets married dreads this day -- changing her surname. It took me exactly twenty one months to do this. My old passport expired on the day of our wedding and I renewed in November 2012 because we planned to go out of the country in 2013. I still used my maiden name when I renewed because we still don't have an NSO certified marriage certificate.




There are only four requirements for getting a new passport -- your old passport, two valid IDs, NSO certified marriage certificate, and your printed renewal form.

First, set an appointment through the Department of Foreign Affairs website. Just visit http://passport.com.ph/ to book your schedule. Click Set an Appointment on the right side of the page. You can choose from the five locations that they have -- Aseana, Manila, Galleria, Megamall, and Alabang. I live in the south, so it's really a good news that there's one in Alabang. It's on the fourth floor of the new Metro Mall just beside Alabang Town Center.



After you click your chosen branch, you will be taken to the next page. At the bottom of that page, click Start Individual Appointment Process. The next page will be the form that you need to fill out.
TIPS: Make sure that you choose RENEWAL. Apparently, changing your name is as good as a renewing your passport. Also, put your new name -- you husband's surname, your old surname as your middle name, and of course, your name. Make sure the information you put are all correct.




After you fill out all the necessary information and clicked SUBMIT at the bottom of the page, a link will be sent to the email you provided. When you click this link, you will be taken to the PDF file of your renewal form. You can save it or print it right away.
TIP: Make sure to print your renewal form on long bond paper. It was too late for me to realize that my renewal form was printed on short bond paper. Although they accepted my renewal form, I was still too stressed out about it. My friend, Farah, told me that you can actually ask for a renewal form on site and fill it out there.

Make sure you come on time on the day of your schedule. My schedule was at 10AM on January 20. I was there early, like around 9AM because I thought we can go inside right away. Turns out, the mall opens at exactly 10AM. I stayed in Starbucks near the Metro Supermarket to have breakfast. We were allowed to go the fourth floor five minutes before 10AM. We were led inside the office right away.

Go to the reception area to get a number. I was 4006, sixth in line for the renewals.



Wait for your number on the screen, then proceed to the next step.



First step is to go to the Processing Section. They will get your Application Form and will ask you if you want the regular or rush processing. Regular is P950 and Rush is P1200. Your old passport will also be cancelled in this area.
TIP: They will be asking for photocopies of your old passport and IDs so have it ready. In the Alabang branch, there's a photocopy station, but the charge is more expensive.



Second step is the Cashier. You will give your receipt and pay the P950.



Third step is the Encoding Station. They will be scanning your form and encode your details. They will also be taking your photo here, get your thumbmark, and your signature. 
TIP: Don't put on too much make up. You will also be asked to take off your earrings for the photo, so if you think you might misplace your earrings, just don't wear it that day. 



Fourth step is optional. If you would opt to have your passport delivered, go to the courier section. You will pay P120 for the delivery. Your passport will be delivered a day after the release date. Mine will be released on February 11, so I expect to receive it a day or two later. My friend, Farah, had a horror story with this and told me not to have my passport delivered, but I still did anyway. Hehe

I was in DFA Alabang for about 50 minutes. That's fast! 



Hope this post is helpful for all you newly married misises! :D

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram Feed