, ,

An Open Letter to Alvin Patrimonio

9:12 PM

Hi Alvin! *please insert feeling close accent here*

How are you? At the moment, I am yet again mending a broken heart because San Mig Coffee/BMeg/Purefoods just lost to Alaska.

I wouldn't say I am your biggest fan. Maybe, I am just one of the many who admire you and your passion for the game. It was back in the early 90's when I was introduced by my father to basketball. He was a frustrated basketball player. I remember I was in kindergarten when I first saw you on TV. Honestly, I thought you looked like my dad, or he looked like you.

That's my father on the left. I hope he won't kill me for publishing his pogi photo. Haha!


I would always get my father's newspaper in our tricycle to check the game schedules and finish my homework early so I could watch the game. You know, Papa's rule was no homework, no TV. Basketball is a big part of our household -- Papa is San Miguel, my brother is Alaska, while me and my mother are Purefoods fans. She calls you 'Patre' you know.

I watched Dobol Dribol but only during the 3PM cinema slot of Channel 2. I was a kid so I couldn't go to the theater. I didn't watch Tasya Fantasya though. I hated Kris Aquino (and I think I still do) when she got linked to you. My father, knowing that I like you very much, would taunt me and tell me that Kris is his 'girlfriend'. I would get angry and tell him that my Mama is way prettier than Kris.

One afternoon in 2004 after my classes in college, I passed by Ynares Center and realized that there was a PBA game. I didn't know it was Purefoods though until I got home and switched on the TV. The commentator said you will be announcing your retirement. Without thinking, I got out of the house and went to Ynares Center. I got a Gen Ad ticket because I was late. There I was, a college girl in Gen Ad, crying while you deliver your retirement speech. That was the first time I saw you.

Going back to my mother, to make it more obvious that she is a fan, she is now one of the biggest dealers of Purefoods in Antipolo Public Market. Do you remember that day when you had a palengke tour in Antipolo? You went to my mother's store, took a photo with her, and signed her trapal. I cried when she called me in the office and said that you and Purefoods team were there in the market. I was 22 years old then. I asked my mother if I can have the trapal and she said Marosa (her supplier at that time) hasn't given her a new one so she ain't putting it down. Lo and behold, there was a big storm a few weeks later and my beloved Alvin Patrimonio autograph was gone.

Do you also remember the day when you were a principal sponsor at a wedding and the reception was in Jamesville in Antipolo? My brother was one of the groomsmen. My heart jumped when he texted me that you were one of the ninongs. I was in our store in Antipolo Public Market then. I stood outside the gate of Jamesville, trying to take a peek of you. I wanted to go inside and crash a wedding if only I wasn't wearing pambahay.

Guy beside you wearing white is my brother. I still hate him to this day for having this photo with you.

Three years ago, I started dating Jeff. He took me to a BMeg-Ginebra game in Araneta. He is also a big Patrimonio and Purefoods fan. He also had this story of seeing you in Gift Gate when he was four or five. Ginebra ate BMeg alive during that game so we left before the game ended. I made sure I took a lot of photos of you while you were standing on the court side, chewing your gum. You still looked like the man I admired twenty years ago. But with thinner hair. Haha! At the end of the day, Jeff and I officially became a couple because 'he took me to a Purefoods game'.


You are somewhere in this photo. Hehe. 

I also found out that he has in possession an Alvin Patrimonio toy, you know the one Milo released. I knew I had to marry the guy so I can own the toy. Hahaha! No really, we are now happily married. And I believe I now own the toy. Lol!




It may be corny, but meeting you is part of my bucket list. I always had this I-almost-met-Alvin-Patrimonio-but-didn't moment. I wish the universe would hear me haha! So Mr. Alvin Patrimonio, can I please meet and greet and take a photo with you the next time I watch an SMC/BMeg/Purefoods game?

The kid who cries whenever Purefoods loses a game, 
Joy

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram Feed