,

Our Breastfeeding Story

9:17 PM

My friend Sef, who's been helping and mentoring me on breastfeeding, told me one time to share my breastfeeding milestones on Breastfeeding Pinays. It is a Facebook group specially dedicated to breastfeeding moms. Seriously, if you are a breastfeeding mom, or a mixed feeding or pure formula feeding mom, you should join the group because you will really learn a lot. A strong support system is very important when you are breastfeeding. 

I just lurk around that group. I don't post nor comment, I just read to learn. Whenever I have questions and milestones, I send Sef a message on Whatsapp. Finally, I decided to share my story.

Ang galing ko umanggulo, ano? Haha

And since not everyone is a member of Breastfeeding Pinays, I am sharing what I posted on the group here on the blog.

Hi mommies! Share ko lang ang breastfeeding story namin ni Taglet (we call our baby Taglet kasi little Tagle sya hehe), to somehow inspire some moms with the same struggle as mine. Heads up lang, mahaba ito hehe. 

I come from a family with abundant milk supply, so nung abuntisnako early this year, hindi ko worry if mabibigyan kong gatas ang anak ko o hindi. Ang problema ko is kung makakapagpasuso ako. I have two inverted nipples. Early palang sa pregnancy ko, nagbasa na ako kung anong pwedeng gawin -- nipple puller, ice, pasipsip kay husband -- pero wala talagang nangyayari. And then I gave birth last September in Manila Med. Sobrang BF advocate sila to the point na may NICU nurses na nagra-rounds regularly to make sure the baby latches. Hindi maka-latch si Taglet sakin. Nakaka-frustrate. Two days palang ako nakakapanganak, engorged na ang boobies ko. My friend Sef, who is an admin here, has been very, very helpful and patient in helping me (she even gave me a lactation massage nung kakalabas ko sa hospital). She taught me to hand express and kung pano mabawasan yung pain. Lumabas talaga ang gatas ko after the massage! Pero wala, no choice, nag-pump ako kasi as a mom, you just got to do what you got to do and make sure your baby feeds. 

On my second week, finally lumabas ang left nipple ko sa kaka-latch pakonti konti and kaka-pump nadin. Nagtiyaga kami mag-aral mag-latch ni Taglet pero sobrang low EQ ng babies at sobrang hormonal ng mga kakapanganak lang na gaya ko. Nagkasugat sugat ang suso ko. Ang sakit sakit grabe. Nagla-latch kami to the point na dumudugo na ang suso ko. Yung right nipple ko hindi talaga lumalabas, at ayaw talaga mag-latch ng anak ko dun. Pero tiyaga padin. Stimulate and hatak hatak for it to come out. 

Finally, on our third week, natuto mag-latch ang anak ko. Call me emotional, pero naiyak talaga ako hindi dahil masakit ang pagdede nya (because his latch was perfect!), pero dahil ganun pala yung feeling na you are nourishing your baby directly from your bosom. I was about to give up talaga. Nakapag-decide na kami ni husband na mag-exclusive pump nalang ako, pero matiyaga ang anak ko -- natuto sya. Until now, he still hates my right boob but he latches na, especially after I stimulate the nipple. 

Just yesterday, I was able to nurse my 5-month old mixed feed niece for the first time. So sabi ko wow, andami talagang pakinabang ng suso natin. 

Our Taglet is now 6 weeks old, and now lang talaga kami nakakapag-direct latch ng madalas. I recently stopped pumping at night and I just put him on my boobs when it's time to feed. Sa mga mommies na inverted ang nipples, just don't give up on your boobs and your babies. Tama nga sila, it's so worth it. 


Breastfeeding is a very emotional journey. Although it is the most normal thing to do after giving birth to a baby, women go through a lot. This affects our milk supply and most especially, our self-esteem. We doubt ourselves, we doubt if we can really give what our baby needs from us.

I am very lucky because Jeff is very supportive of me breastfeeding our son. I myself was breastfed by my mother for two years, so I didn't want to take that away from my kids. I want to give them what's best for them. No, I don't condemn parents who give formula milk to their children. I just support breastfeeding. My mother wanted and tried to give me formula milk when I was a baby because she needed to go back to work, but according to her, I didn't want to drink S26. I just throw it up. And borrowing her words, mamamatay daw ako kung hindi sya magre-resign sa trabaho kasi ayaw kong uminom ng formula. Haha!

My Taglet is getting better in latching by the day. He's getting heavier, too! Breastfeeding him gives me so much happiness and fulfillment. It may be a cliche, but being a mother makes me feel complete.

A photo posted by Misis Tagle (@misistagle) on

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Mukha ngang super maka-concentrate si Taglet sa pic! Ang cute. :) My best friend is also a breastfeeding advocate. I think you both gave birth at the same hospital. :) You might want to check out her blog: http://www.celerhinaaubrey.com/ She chronicles all her breastfeeding and motherhood experiences regularly. Hindi pa ako mommy, pero ang dami ko ng na-discover kakabasa ng blog niya. Sorry ang haba ng comment ko. Haha.

    http://www.jerelltabenoja.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check her blog, Jerell! Good to know that you know a lot about breastfeeding and motherhood na. Sobrang ready ka na to be a mom, baby nalang ang kulang. :)

      Delete

Instagram Feed